[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
Seven Extraordinary Things • View topic - not-quite-animation

Logo Seven Extraordinary Things

New Readers Start Here
Bookmark and Share
New!
Header Background 05

not-quite-animation

Topics pertaining to the art and craft of telling stories with pictures

not-quite-animation

by Carl-E » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:13 pm

I know it's just good "storyboarding", but I love the 6 panel sequence starting here, where Greg and Janis are sitting on the bench.

In a traditional book form it would look OK, but flipping through them online, the way the frame automatically lines up, gave it more of a flip-book feel - sort of a rough animation that actually worked incredibly well!

I don't know if it was done that way intentionally or not - you see sequences like that all the time in comics, but never presented this way. It lent the scene an added air of reality!
When others say "Why?", I used to say, "Why not?"

Now I just say, "Who cares?"
Carl-E

Re: not-quite-animation

by leafscar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:11 pm

There's really no better way i can think of to get across the pace of the conversation.
leafscar

by flashstick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:18 pm

That, and the "Gay Roommate" sequence. That was just hilarious, and it got the pause across very well. As well as the stages of Greg registering what Claire said. I love it.
flashstick

by Carl-E » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:56 pm

The "sensible plan" comic (I'll link it later) is a little confusing to me - the lighting in the last panel, where greg's face is all in shadows except the eyes and the set of the mouth - it makes him look upset, maybe even angry, which just doesn't seem to fit with his words or his personality.

Maybe it's just an attempt at ominousness (is that a word?), but I guess we'll find out as the story unfolds further.

Carl-E

by robergoliard » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:37 pm

I belive the words you are looking for are a "preponderance of Foreshadowing."
robergoliard

by Carl-E » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Or how about, "ponderous foreshadowing"?

Carl-E

Return to Visual Narration