[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
Seven Extraordinary Things • View topic - Ratcatcher!

Logo Seven Extraordinary Things

New Readers Start Here
Bookmark and Share
New!
Header Background 05

Ratcatcher!

Topics pertaining to the art and craft of telling stories with pictures

Ratcatcher!

by movieboards » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:16 pm

I really like the ratcatcher short-as-story-lesson. I vote for more like it! Who's with me?! ;)
movieboards

Re: Ratcatcher!

by admin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 pm

I would like more stories like that, as well. But that means I have to draw them.

Here's a link to The Rat Catcher's Son: http://www.sevenextraordinarythings.com/the-rat-catchers-son.
admin
Site Admin

by Carl-E » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Took a while to find it. Why isn't it linked somewhere on the site? I had to go to the Doug Lefler site to get linked back...

Or am I missing something?

But yes, it's an excellent writing lesson. Like the Connecticut Yankee in Arthur's court - he wasn't that interesting or extraordinary, but what he did with the knowledge he had - well, that was extraordinary! I'm sure there are tons of other examples, from Frodo Baggins to Holden Caulfield. It's one of the things that maes a character memorable - the ability to identify with them through their ordinariness! (is that even a word?)
When others say "Why?", I used to say, "Why not?"

Now I just say, "Who cares?"
Carl-E

by Stips » Mon May 03, 2010 12:15 am

I love the story, too. It doesn't only tell about charakter-design, but about real life.
Many people are afraid of being taken as mediocre, so they start acting "individual", for being individual and no other reason. (My favorite example is this special kind of 65-year old wifes of artists or dentists, wearing pink trowsers and leopard-print-cloaks, looking like the barbie my dog playes with) I think the biggest sign of mediocrity is being afraid of it and denying it. It also prevents you from working on your skills.
Sometimes it is abolutely better to do your mediocre thing, than just standing awesome there and being beautiful boring. And a medieval town is more lucky to have good ratcatchers, than famous beerdrinkers.
And there is one good thing about short stories in general: when you read a short-story-comic you don't need to wait for the next part of it :D (I am absolutely cliffhanger-prone)
Stips

by Jumping Jack » Tue May 18, 2010 9:08 am

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the moral. While it is true interesting characters should do interesting things - being interesting in and of itself is boring in a story - but a person who does interesting things isn't interesting by default; take many movie actors and writers for example - in real life they are not interesting people.

For me, the most interesting thing in the entire short story was the Ratcatcher's crush on the barmaid and the scene wherein she's introduced. Why? Because it made him more than a stick figure which walked through the motions of a story - it made him a person with thoughts, feelings, and desires you could empathize with. Without that scene I never would have cared about the rest of the tale.
Jumping Jack

Return to Visual Narration