[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
Seven Extraordinary Things • View topic - Dance

Logo Seven Extraordinary Things

New Readers Start Here
Bookmark and Share
New!
Header Background 05

Dance

Topics pertaining to the art and craft of telling stories with pictures

Dance

by Carl-E » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:10 pm

OK, I know it's really difficult to translate an active medium like dance into a static one, like a comic (or any other static art, for that matter - sculpture, painting, ...). You've definitely conveyed that she's working hard, but I just can't get a sense of what she's doing. Maybe more of the not-quite-animation style would work better here, or something giving more of a sense of the movement...

What's worse, I can't tell if it's good or not - she wanted Greg's opinion, I assume this is something she's been working on. But why Greg? Going for an easy affirmation, like she did with the sex? Does she really trust his opinion? Or is she throwing some shit at him, and when he responds positively anyway, she'll know his opinion's biased? I just can't get a good reading on Nina, or how devious she is, if at all.

I know, I know, "wait and see". It's just that it was a sudden transition into this, and it's disorienting. That may have been the point, I don't know.

I guess we'll find out!
When others say "Why?", I used to say, "Why not?"

Now I just say, "Who cares?"
Carl-E

Re: Dance

by robergoliard » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:20 pm

I belive that what you see could be the defining moments of the dance, the Pièces de résistance if you please, that descibe the motion thru space and time. Alternatively, they could be a series of snapshots, as you might take with a phonecam at a dance recital. Not enough to reconstruct the dance as you look at them later, but a series of interesting motions in a Hogarthian manner.

Unfortunately, it is the nature of the illustration medium to have a series of static shots to depict motion. It could be shown like in overlays like Nude Descending a Staircase, the 1912 painting by Marcel Duchamp. It could also be a series of stop action photos as the turn of the century [1900 not 2000] artists used for defining running, jumping, lifting, etc. In Duchamp mode, it is almost as hard to visualize unless you leave a lot of white space or blurs. Then it ends up looking like a Manga. In stop action mode 2 things happen: the time sense is stretched because of the multiple panels and gutters between them that indicate time passage, and the weight of the episode is dramatically high. It would be like describing the dance in words in a novel for the space of 3 or 4 pages. Melville and Dickens could get away with it, but they were paid by the word. No editor would allow it today. Some artists do this for effect, but it really slows down the story.

As usual, the artist was caught between the rock and a hard place. It appears that he chose to favor the flow of the story over the illustration effects.
robergoliard

Return to Visual Narration