[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 2167: Array to string conversion
Seven Extraordinary Things • View topic - in-and-out of frame

Logo Seven Extraordinary Things

New Readers Start Here
Bookmark and Share
New!
Header Background 05

in-and-out of frame

Topics pertaining to the art and craft of telling stories with pictures

in-and-out of frame

by Carl-E » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:24 pm

I knew Greg was talking directly to the reader for the ast couple of days (he's such a fourth-wall-breaker), but didn't really notice he was "out of the story" until he stepped back in here.

It's an interesting techique, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Beng the narrator of your own story makes direct communication both necessary and understandable, and I've seen similar things in the past - thinking outside the box, as it were. I think what was jarring was his stepping back into the box in order to interact again. There's a natural separating of the narrater-self and the story's self, and this didn't just blur those lines, it eradicated them.

It's not a bad thing, but it certainly took me by surprise.
When others say "Why?", I used to say, "Why not?"

Now I just say, "Who cares?"
Carl-E

Re: in-and-out of frame

by VBunny » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:57 am

I was a bit tricked by it too, but I had a strong hunch he was abotu to break the 4th wall with us again. Maybe I read too much? :D

I loved that technique. It was seamless.
VBunny

Re: in-and-out of frame

by robergoliard » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:32 pm

It reminded me of the play Candide, where the narrator broke panel to yell, "will someone tell Joanne to get her ass out here on stage." It is done quite successfully in most of Ferris Bueller, or Ducky at the end of Pretty in Pink, and of course Annette at the end of Back to the Beach. It is also a standard schtick for Renaissance Festivals.

Just as artists have a hard time staying within the panel borders, writers have a hard time in first person staying in the moment. It is the modern equivalent of first person musings and monologues of Shakespeare or the asides of the Restoration Comedies.
robergoliard

Return to Visual Narration